|Job Status :||Full-time|
K&N Electric Motors is looking for a hardworking, motivated individual to complete a Machinist Apprenticeship at their Spokane Valley, WA location. As an Apprentice Machinist, you will learn how to operate various machine tools to manufacture and repair mechanical assemblies.
The chosen individual will learn how to:
- Record all data necessary to produce expected service and/or design results, including sizing and illustrations.
- Use measuring devices and techniques correctly to assure proper sizing.
- Perform milling operations such as drilling, tapping, boring, and conventional milling and lathe work, using various engine lathes (e.g., horizontal and vertical mills and horizontal boring mills).
- Balance mechanical assemblies using dynamic balancing equipment.
- Perform various metalizing (metal spraying) techniques as needed.
- Understand materials and applications as required.
- Perform various welding operations. including setup and use of MIG, TIG, torch and stick welders.
- Set up and perform tool-post grinding operations (e.g. precision surface facing), broaching procedures, and babbitt bearing work.
- Use various hand-held and stationary power and non-power tools, including but not limited to: band saws, belt sanders, hand grinders, files, etc.
K&N wants to ensure that you are ready for apprenticeship and have the skills that will drive you to succeed. Below are the minimum qualifications for the Aerospace Joint Apprenticeship Committee (AJAC) aerospace and advanced manufacturing apprenticeship program in Washington State.
The program length is 4 years and requires 8000 OJT hours to earn journeyman level.
- Currently working for a manufacturing company with whom AJAC has partnered. (K&N is an AJAC partner)
- At least 16 years of age
- Agree and able to attend one, 4-hour evening class per week at Spokane Community College
- Agree and able to pay tuition at $175/quarter. May use payroll deduction.
- Be a high school graduate, have a GED or are working toward a GED with proof of successful completion of the GED within 6 months of entering the apprenticeship.
- Successfully passed college Math and English classes (090 or greater) or completed an assessment test such as the:
- Compass Test with minimum scores of 67 in reading, 32 in writing, and 53 in pre-algebra
- World of Work Inventory (WOWI) with minimum scores of 27.78 in numerical, 34.95 in verbal
- ASSET Test with minimum scores of 37 in reading skills, 37 in writing skills, and 43 in numerical skills
K&N will provide the opportunity to complete the WOWI if the college and math classes have not been completed nor any of the 3 assessment tests.